Table of Contents
Is Walking Good Exercise for Weight Loss?
Many people approach weight loss in the wrong way. The mistake they make it doing too much too fast. This often results in temporary weight loss, frustration, and injury. People think that these "crash diets" and intense fitness plans are the solution to their weight problems. But what happens after the 21 day fitness challenge and after that crazy and unhealthy crash diet? This is when the weight slowly begins to creep back up on us. Lets talk about walking and how it just might be the permeant solution to your weight loss and health goals.
Adding Walking to Your Lifestyle
Time has proven again and again that permanent and healthy weight is achieved by lifelong changes in eating and exercise habits instead of short-term diets and exercise binges. Now there is a delicate balance between the calories you eat and the calories you use through out the day. First thing that you need to do is calculate your daily calorie needs.
Once you have this number and you want to lose weight you simply need to use more calories than you eat. Walking is one form of cardio that is low impact and effective at burning calories. Adding regular walking to your life, combined with a healthy diet can lead to weight loss and can help you get off that weight loss rollercoaster.
Benefits of Walking
Just 30 minutes of walking a day is what you should be getting to help keep yourself in good shape. Here are the other benefits of walking:
- Reduced risk of heart disease
- Can reduce high blood pressure
- Decreases your chances of diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and osteoporosis
- Improves sleep and increase energy
- Reduces stress
- Can even relieve symptoms of depression
- Lead to weight loss
How to Start Walking for Fitness
Before you being you need to consider your fitness level and consult a doctor before making any major lifestyle changes. Take into account your age and over all health. Listen to your body and pay attention to your health rate. This is how you will when when it is ok to increase your level of physical activity.
Next you can begin to walk. You can walk outside, with a friend or walking group or if you prefer to stay indoors you can walk on a treadmill. During your first few weeks of walking for fitness you should be walking at a pace at which you are able to hold a conversation. This will ensure that you aren't pushing your body too hard in the beginning. Here is a simple Walking Fitness Plan that you can follow:
- Week 1 - 3: Walk 20 minutes a day 3 to 5 times a week.
- Week 3 - 4: Walk 25 minutes a day 3 to 5 times a week.
- Week 5: Walk 30 minutes a day 3 to 5 times a week.
- Week 6: Walk 35 minutes a day 3 to 5 times a week.
- Week 7: Walk 40 minutes a day 3 to 5 times a week.
- Week 8: Walk 45 minutes a day 3 to 5 times a week.
- Week 9 - 10: Walk 50 minutes a day 3 to 5 times a week.
- Level 11: Walk 55 minutes a day 3 to 5 times a week.
- Week 12: Walk 60 minutes a day 3 to 5 times a week.
As you walk your goal should be to have your heart rate at 50% to 85% of your maximum heart rate.
Share your comments & questions!